Friday, March 27, 2009

Sweet Potato-blueberry Pancakes

Mungi has a pink eye. and a fever. My poor kiddo doesn't want to eat anything..She loses her appetite pretty quickly when she gets fever. I knew she was sick when she turned down cantaloupe (she loves melons. Actually, she loves any kind of fruits.) Occasionally, she will eat a piece of bread when she is sick. Unfortunately, we were out of bread. So, I made these for her. Hoping that she will give them a try as they are of similar texture. Not exactly of the same texture, but they are spongy, and made with flour. You know what I mean.

I looked at her from the corner of my eye, as I served her the orangee pancake, jewelled with blueberries. She took her eyes off the mickey mouse clubhouse clip she was watching on the computer, and...lo and behold, took a bite..and another, and another...Hurray!!! You have to be a mom, to know how happy I felt that minute.

This is definitely not just the 'when you are sick' food. I am sure, I will make these again, when she is making me crazy dancing, and jumping all over the house.

Sweet Potato -blueberry Pancakes

1 cup white whole-wheat pastry flour (or atta used for rotis)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. wheat germ
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. sugar

1 cup cooked, mashed sweet potato (I pressure cooked half of medium sized sweet potato)
1 cup fresh (or frozen)blueberries

1 - 1/2 cups milk (or more)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

  1. Mix the dry ingredients together.
  2. Mix milk, oil, and vanilla together. Put eggs into the milk mixture. Break egg-yolks, and mix only until combined. Do not over mix.
  3. Make a well into the dry ingredients. Pour wet mixture in the well. Mix until the mixture comes together, and lumps are formed. Add sweet potato puree.
  4. Use more milk if needed to make the batter of right consistency.
  5. Heat a griddle. Drizzle olive oil.
  6. Pour a laddleful of pancake mix on hot griddle.
  7. Sprinkle blueberries on top.
  8. I usually put a lid on the pancake at this point to help it cook faster, and evenly.
  9. Take the lid off after a minute or so. Drizzle few drops of olive oil on top.
  10. Flip the pancake. let it cook on the other side for a minute or two.
  11. Serve with butter and maple syrup or honey. (Mungi's pediatrician warned me against using honey until she turns one.)

I repeated the same process until all of the batter was gone. I divided each pancake in two half circles. And froze them overnight on a cookie sheet. I covered the cookie sheet with plastic wrap before it went inside the freezer. I will send these one by one with mungi to the daycare for her breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment